Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Cullen818 Fic Review - Son of A Preacher Man


So, I think we've mentioned before that this blog doesn't just showcase dark, dominant vampires, it's also about those tortured, human bad boys too. You know what I'm talking about, right? Those boys your mom warned you about, the ones you would never let your own daughter near. Sexy, "save me from myself" kind of men? That's what my featured story is about...


The wild son of a famous televangelist, Jasper likes to love ‘em and leave ‘em. Will he meet his match in Bella, who’s in love with his sister’s boyfriend Edward? And what happens when Edward finally notices her?

First, let me start out by saying that this is ultimately an E/B pairing, the author has never lied to us about that, but the first half of the story offers us some delicious J/B moments. The Jasper in this story is incredibly hot and rough. He likes woman, a lot, and his reputation precedes him. But, to experience his wild, raw side begin to disappear once he realizes that he is falling for the young, impressionable Bella is truly a treat. He doesn't understand his feelings, and he does everything in his power to ruin things because of the man he believes himself to be.

LaViePastiche has an amazing handle on the male POV, especially Jasper's. When I read his POV, I swear I'm inside the mind of a man. This is a fantastic read, one that will draw you in right from the beginning. Most chapters run anywhere from 8,000 - 10,000 words, so no feeling or description is neglected. I felt for everyone of these characters, even Edward, and I still get excited when she updates. The story is almost coming to an end, so if you like to read completed fics, I would start this one, because it's rather lengthy.

I have to admit, if you're Team Jasper (we all know I am) this story will break your heart, but this might be the only "switch teams" story that I would recommend because it's that good. The characters are strong, the plot is flawless, and I think on some level we can all relate to the circumstances. If you're not reading this one, you are missing out on such a great story. This is by far one of the most creative and amazing Jaspers that I've read. When I picture a human Jasper, this is the one.

Also...in the interest of full disclosure, LaViePastiche is probably the only FF author I get all fan girl over (not that I don't admire so many others)! Her writing inspired me to write my first Jasper/Bella fic. So, thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Awww - what a lovely recommendation - thanks so much, I really appreciate your kind words.

    Although many people tell me that they think I have the mind of a man from reading this, and ngl, it's starting to worry me - LOL :)

    thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ADORE this story! Awesome rec! I have shed many tears in this & yes Cullen818, this is one of the only stories I seem to constantly switch teams in. I think in the end which ever team we're on, our hearts are gonna get broken :'(

    So sad it's near the end. Thanks for the rec :)

    ReplyDelete